What Can I Do If I Suspect Child Abuse or Neglect?

Woman on cell phone looking very serious

What Can I Do If I Suspect Child Abuse or Neglect?

Anyone can and should report suspected child abuse or neglect. If you think a child is being mistreated, take immediate action.

If you suspect abuse in Jacksonville, Florida, you can contact the Florida Department of Children and Families or call the the Florida Abuse Hotline 24 hours a day and 7 days a week at 1-800-962-2873 or fill out an online form

The Child Welfare Information Gateway provides the following advice. 

Information to Provide When Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect.

When you call to make a report, you will be asked for specific information, such as the following:

• The child’s name and location • The name and relationship (if known) of the person you believe is abusing the child

• What you have seen or heard regarding the abuse or neglect

• The names of any other people who might know about the abuse

• Your name and phone number (voluntary)

Reporting the situation may protect the child and get additional help for the family. Many nonprofit, public, education, social service, and child care organizations in your community play a role in providing supports and services to children, youth, and families. Parenting education, crisis/respite care, transitional housing, and literacy programs as well as family resource centers, teen parent support groups, fatherhood groups, and marriage education classes support families in important ways.

If You or a Loved One Has Been the Victim of Sexual Abuse and You Have Questions

Please contact Clifton Law Office, you can reach me at my contact page online or call me directly at 904-209-4883.