Victim of a "Hit and Run" in Florida

Truck driving fast in the rain

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, some people leave the scene of an accident. This puts the victim in an even greater stressful situation as they may wonder how, if the other driver is never found, they will pay their medical bill, recover lost wages and be compensated for their injury. Fortunately, there are ways to seek justice for those victims. 

Florida "Hit and Run" Law

The driver of a vehicle involved in a crash resulting in injury to a person, death or property damage shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the crash, or as close there to as possible, and shall remain at the scene of the crash until he or she has fulfilled certain statutory requirements. 

Legal Requirements Following a Car Accident

The driver of any vehicle involved in a crash resulting in injury to or death of any person or damage to any vehicle or other property which is driven or attended by any person shall:

  • Immediately stop your vehicle.
  • Give your name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle you are driving,
  • Upon request and if available exhibit your license or permit to drive, to any person injured in such crash or to the driver or occupant of or person attending any vehicle or other property damaged in the crash  
  • Give such information and, upon request, exhibit such license or permit to any police officer at the scene of the crash or who is investigating the crash 
  • Render to any person injured in the crash reasonable assistance, including the carrying, or the making of arrangements for the carrying, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that treatment is necessary, or if such carrying is requested by the injured person.

Florida UM Coverage

So you are probably wondering, "how do I get compensated if the other driver is never found." This is where your underinsured/uninsured (UM) coverage would be beneficial. 

UM coverage can help the victims of "Hit and Run" accidents by providing compensation when the other driver is unidentifiable and never found. 

You are not required to have UM coverage in Florida and you can deny it when you sign up for your policy. However, it is a low cost coverage that can have a significant value if you are unfortunately seriously hurt in a car accident.

PIP Coverage Following a "Hit and Run" 

When you are the victim of a "Hit and Run" your PIP insurance policy should cover your medical bills. You will need to contact you insurance company immediately and seek medical treatment. PIP can pay 80% of you medical cost, up to $10,000, in addition to 60% of lost wages. 

4 Things You Should Do Following A "Hit and Run" Accident

  1.  Call the police.
  2.  Call your insurance company from the scene if you can or as soon as possible. 
  3.  Seek medical treatment immediacy or very soon after.
  4.  Call an attorney.

If You Have Questions About a Car Accident or Any Other Injury You Suffered

Please contact Clifton Law Office, you can reach me at my contact page online or call me directly at 904-209-4883.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment