Getting Medical Bills Paid While Waiting for a Personal Injury Settlement

If you were injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you may be facing costly medical expenses. Even if you have grounds to pursue a personal injury claim against the at-fault party, that will take time and you have bills to pay now. What can you do? We take a look at some of your options.

You Will Need to Look to Your Insurance

Your first and best options for getting bills paid right away are your own insurance policies. If you were injured in a slip and fall, dog bite, or other premises liability case, you should use your health insurance for any medical treatment you need immediately after the accident and for ongoing treatment. You may also look to Medicare or Medicaid for coverage if those apply to your situation. If you were hit by a car as a pedestrian or bicyclist or were involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage on your auto insurance policy will cover your medical expenses in the short term. However, you should be aware that once your claim is settled and you receive compensation from the at-fault party, your own insurance companies will have to be reimbursed for their coverage out of the settlement amount.

If you do not have health or automobile insurance, you may have to pay out of pocket. It may be possible to negotiate a hold agreement with the hospital. Under such an agreement, the hospital agrees to wait for payment until your claim is settled.

Do Not Avoid Medical Treatment Because of Cost

Unfortunately, some people avoid seeking the medical care they need because they cannot afford it. Delaying treatment until you get a settlement is not smart for two reasons. First, your injuries could become considerably worse by not treating them right away. Second, in order to make a strong claim for compensation from the at-fault party, you will need to produce evidence of your injuries. If you have not been to the doctor, you will not have the evidence you need to prove that you were injured. Also, because Florida is a no-fault auto accident state, you will not be able to seek damages from another driver unless you are permanently injured or your medical expenses exceed $10,000. If you do not seek proper medical care, you will not discover the extent of your injuries.

How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help

When you call Clifton Law Office as soon as possible following an injury accident, you will get the right advice from the start. I can help you get the medical care you need, figure out how to pay for it, track expenses, and file suit against any liable parties. 

Get Your Questions Answered Now By Getting Your FREE Florida Car Accident Guide.

If You Have Questions About a Car Accident or Any Other Injury You Suffered

Please contact Clifton Law Office, reach me at my contact page online or call me directly at 904-209-4883. 

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment