Crime Victim Compensation in Jacksonville

Sunrise over beach

Crime Victim Compensation in Jacksonville

There is an already long road to recovery and piecing your life back together as a survivor of a sexual crime. There are people and organizations in Jacksonville that are ready to help. Taking advantage of the resources available can be overwhelming, but the benefit can not be overstated. No one should have to suffer alone. As a crime victim in Florida, you may be entitled to compensation provided by the state. Below you will find some basic information that will point you in the right direction. 

In addition, you have rights as a victim of a crime and unfortunately sometimes those rights can be forgotten or mistakenly overlooked. An attorney representing your interest can help guide you through a criminal prosecution of the person who harmed you in addition to looking for justice by filing a lawsuit against the perpetrator or any other party that may be liable, including business owners, restaurants, hotels, schools and athletic programs. You do not have to go through this process alone. 

Rights of Sexual Crime Victims:

  • Obtain a forensic exam whether or not you report to law enforcement 
  • Have an advocate at the forensic exam with you 
  • Have the forensic exam sent for testing within 30 days, if reported to law enforcement 
  • Review the law enforcement report prior to final submission 
  • Be informed, present, and be heard at all crucial stages of the criminal or juvenile proceeding 
  • Have an advocate with you during a discovery deposition 
  • Have identifying information about the criminal investigation kept confidential 
  • Have the offender, if charged, tested for certain medical conditions  
  • Attend sentencing or disposition of the offender 
  • Notification of judicial proceedings and scheduling changes 
  • Notification about the release of incarcerated offender 
  • Request restitution 
  • Give a victim impact statement 
  • Not be subjected to a polygraph or truth-telling device 
  • Take up to 3 days of leave from work (with eligible employer) 
  • Apply for an injunction if you fear for your safety or offender is nearing release 

Crime Victim Compensation

Includes information from FDLE ( and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office

As a victim of a crime, you may be eligible for financial assistance for:

  • medical care,
  • lost income,
  • mental health services, 
  • relocation, and
  • other expenses related to injuries as a result of the crime. 

To apply for assistance, check on the status of your application, or if you are in need of any other help, contact the Division of Victim Services within the Office of the Attorney General toll free at 1-800-226-6667.  

Additional Resources Include:

Victim Compensation

  • 1-800-226-6667
  • TDD users can call through Florida Relay at 1-800-955-8771  
  • Or Division of Citizen Services (850) 414-3990‚Äč

If You Have Questions Regarding Your Rights as a Survivor of Rape or Violent Crime

Please contact Clifton Law Office, you can reach me at my contact page online or call me directly at 904-209-4883.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment