Crime Victim Compensation in Jacksonville, Florida

peoples hands holding a wooden heart

If you are a survivor of a crime in Florida, you may be eligible to receive certain compensation. Below you will find information provided by the Office of Attorney General in Florida.  You can also call Toll-Free Victim Services Information and Referral Line 1-800-226-6667 

Crime Victim Benefits in Florida

  • Wage loss for an employed victim who missed work as the result of a crime related injury or a parent/guardian who had to care for a minor child recovering from a crime related injury.
  • Loss of support for persons who were principally dependent on a deceased victim who was employed and earned income, or who was eligible for reemployment assistance benefits, at the time of the crime.
  • Disability allowance when the victim becomes permanently disabled as a result of the crime.
  • Funeral/burial expenses.
  • Treatment expenses for medical, non-medical remedial care, or other medically necessary services. Includes prescriptions, eyeglasses, dentures, or prosthetic devices needed as a result of the crime.
  • Mental health and grief counseling.
  • Property loss reimbursement for victims age 60 or older or disabled adults. The crime must be reported to the proper authorities within 72 hours and only certain types of tangible property are compensable.
  • Domestic violence relocation assistance for victims who have an immediate need to escape a domestic violence environment.
  • Sexual battery relocation assistance for victims who need to relocate due to a reasonable fear for their continued safety.
  • Human trafficking relocation assistance for victims who have an urgent need to escape from an unsafe environment directly related to the human trafficking offense. 

Who can Apply for Florida Crime Victim Benefits

  • A victim or intervenor as defined in Chapter 960 of the Florida Statutes.
  • A surviving spouse, parent, child or sibling of a deceased victim.
  • A guardian applying for a minor, incompetent person, or minor child or sibling of a deceased victim.
  • A minor present at the scene of a crime who suffered psychological or psychiatric injury as a result of the crime or a minor victim of child abuse who suffered a mental injury.
  • A relative applying on behalf of a deceased victim, when no other source of payment for funeral expenses is available.
  • Any other person who was dependent for principal support upon a deceased victim or intervenor.

How to Apply for Florida Crime Victim Benefits

Submit a completed and signed claim application

via email to [email protected]

via fax to 850-414-5779 or 850-414-6197

via mail to: Bureau of Victim Compensation The Capitol, PL-01 Tallahassee, FL 32399-1050


If You Have Questions Regarding Your Rights as a Survivor of Rape or Violent Crime

Please contact Clifton Law Office, you can reach me at my contact page online or call me directly at 904-209-4883.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment